Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Why I went to Omaha last weekend.

I visited a friend last weekend. Someone I've known since I was 11 years old, but hadn't seen in almost 10 years. We went to a Garbage concert, and spent more money than necessary shopping. But what I like the most was discovering what had changed about each other, and what hadn't. Changed: I once called her the uber virgin. She now has two kids. Not changed: She still talks to everyone we went to school with. I didn't realize that I'd want to know what happened to everyone we knew, when I stopped talking to most of them. I'm lucky that she had the forethought to keep track of them all. As much as I loved meeting her kids, catching up and going to see a kick-ass rock show, my favorite part of the trip was the conversation we had while getting our nails done. Me: "Do you know what happened to Chad?" Her: "I have no idea who you're talking about." Me: "You know.. " In a deeper voice, "Chaaaaad." Her: "Oh God, Chad. He was gorgeous!!!" She remembered not only our inner jokes, but the inflections of our jokes. She's amazing.

No comments: