Monday, February 1, 2010

Google made me smarty-pants.


Someone once told me that if you pick up a cow, every day, starting from the day it's born, you'd be able to lift it when it's full grown. I believed it, and was then mocked, (mocked I tell you!) for years for being so gullible. 

Gullible? "Why?", I thought. It made sense to me, slowly you'd build up your strength, until presto, you can lift an adult cow. Plus, the cow would get use to you picking it up everyday, so after it's calf-hood it would come to expect this every day. I bet it wouldn't even struggle after a while. 

Today, the topic came up again. I asked Mr. J to explain it to me. (Because none of those of laughed at me were ever willing to.) He told me the average cow weighs several thousand pounds, and that the human body, no matter how well trained, is incapable of lifting such an amount. 

Thanks to WikiAnswers I am thrilled to tell you, Mr J is a liar. The world record for weight lifting is a whopping 1250 pounds. The weight of an average cow? Depending on the breed, anywhere from 600 to 3000 pounds. As long as the cow wasn't one of the largest breeds, you totally could pick it up after a few years of conditioning.

Who's gullible NOW?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

it's always nice when you can prove a man wrong since it is ingrained in their DNA to always be right.

Anna Wilder said...

makes sense to me!! :)

Nameless Cynic said...

The trouble with lifting a cow over your head? You get milk in your hair.